Wayne is lecturer in the Department of International Relations. He is a Southeast Asianist and a migration scholar.
Wayne received a Ph.D from the University of Sydney’s Department of Indonesian Studies for his thesis on the role of discretion in the design and implementation of Indonesia’s overseas labour migration programme. Since then he has managed a non-governmental service provision programme for migrant workers in Hong Kong and supported an intergovernmental organization to identify opportunities for improving the Indonesian government’s policy responses to labour migration and human trafficking.
Wayne uses social-legal approaches to examine legal and policy frameworks that regulate international labour migration. His field of research is the Asia-Pacific region, with a particular focus on Southeast Asia. Wayne’s forthcoming book offers for the first time a detailed, critical analysis of the way in which Indonesia’s Overseas Labour Migration Programme is managed and how that fits with other developments within the Indonesian government.
- International labour migration
- Trafficking of labour migrants
- Migrant workers’ rights
- Socio-legal studies
- Palmer, W. (2016). Indonesia’s Overseas Labour Migration Programme, 1969-2010. Brill.
- Palmer, W. (2013). Public–private partnerships in the administration and control of Indonesian temporary migrant labour in Hong Kong. Political Geography, 34, 1-9.
- Palmer, W. (2012). Discretion and the trafficking-like practices of the Indonesian state. In Labour Migration and Human Trafficking in Southeast Asia: Critical Perspectives (pp. 149-166). Routledge: London, UK.
- Ford, M., Lyons, L., & Palmer, W. (2010). Australia-Indonesia: Stopping the Hordes-a Critical Account of the Labor Government’s Regional Approach to the Management of Asylum Seekers. Local-Global: Identity, Security, Community, 8, 28.
- Palmer, W. (2016). Exploitation Scheme of Trafficked Indonesian Domestic Workers (produced for – Jakarta: International Organization for Migration).
- Palmer, W. (2016). Human Trafficking in the Global Fishing Industry: An Indonesian Case Study (produced for – Jakarta: International Organization for Migration).
- Palmer, W. (2015). Indonesia’s Criminal Justice Response to Trafficking in Persons and Related Transnational Crime (produced for – Jakarta: International Organization for Migration).
- Palmer, W. (2015). Review of Troubled Transit: Asylum-seekers Stuck in Indonesia, by Antje Missbach, Singapore: ISEAS Yusof-Isak Institute 2015. Pp. 289. Asia Pacific Migration Journal.
- Palmer, W. (2014). Review of The Price of Rights: Regulating International Labour Migration, by Martin Ruhs, Princeton: Princeton University Press 2013. Pp. 254. Asia Pacific Migration Journal 23 (1): 127-128.
- Palmer, W. (2010). Costly Inducements. Inside Indonesia No. 100. Available at http://www.insideindonesia.org/feature-editions/costly-inducements.
- Ford, M. & Palmer, W. (2010). Leaving Indonesia. Inside Indonesia No. 100. Available at http://www.insideindonesia.org/feature-editions/leaving-indonesia.
Last updated :