Wayne Palmer, Ph.D.
Wayne is lecturer in the Department of International Relations. He is an Indonesianist and a migration scholar.
Wayne received a Ph.D from the University of Sydney’s Department of Indonesian Studies for his thesis on the role of discretion in the design and implementation of Indonesia’s overseas labour migration programme. Since then he has managed a non-governmental service provision programme for migrant workers in Hong Kong and supported an intergovernmental organization to identify opportunities for improving the Indonesian government’s policy responses to labour migration and human trafficking.
Wayne uses social-legal approaches to examine legal and policy frameworks that regulate international labour migration. His field of research is the Asia-Pacific region, with a particular focus on Southeast Asia. Wayne’s 2016 book offers for the first time a detailed, critical analysis of the way in which Indonesia’s Overseas Labour Migration Programme is managed and how that fits with other developments within the Indonesian government.
- International labour migration
- Trafficking of labour migrants
- Migrant workers’ rights
- Socio-legal studies
- Palmer, Wayne. 2018. Back Pay for Trafficked Migrant Workers: An Indonesian Case Study. International Migration 56(2): 56-67.
- Palmer, Wayne and Antje Missbach. 2018. Enforcing Labour Rights: Cross-border Victims of Trafficking and Refugees in Indonesia. Third World Quarterly. [DOI 10.1080/01436597.2018.1522586].
- Palmer, Wayne and Antje Missbach. 2018. Judicial Discretion and the Minimum Statutory Sentence of Migrant Smuggling through Indonesia. Asian Law & Society Journal 4(2): 413-431.
- Palmer, Wayne. 2018. Migration Systems and Identity: Indonesian domestic workers in Hong Kong and Singapore. Departing from Java: Javanese Labour, Migration and Diaspora, edited by Rosemarijn Hoefte and Peter Meel. Copenhagen, Denmark: Nias Press, pp. 137-159.
- Missbach, Antje and Wayne Palmer. 2018. Indonesia: A Country Grappling with Migrant Protection at Home and Abroad. Migration Information Source, 19 September.
- Palmer, Wayne and Antje Missbach. 2017. Trafficking within Migrant Smuggling Operations: Are Underage Transporters as ‘Victims’ or ‘Perpetrators’? Asian and Pacific Journal of Migration 26(3): 287-307.
- Palmer, Wayne. 2016. Indonesia’s Overseas Labour Migration Programme, 1969-2010. Bosten and Leiden: Brill.
- Palmer, Wayne. 2013. Public Private Partnerships in the Administration and Control of Indonesian Migrant Labour in Hong Kong. Political Geography 34: 1-9.
- Palmer, Wayne. 2012. Discretion and the Trafficking-Like Practices of the Indonesian State. In Labour Migration and Human Trafficking in Southeast Asia: Critical Perspectives, edited by Michele Ford, Lenore Lyons and Willem van Schendel. London: Routledge, pp.149-166.
- Ford, Michele, Lenore Lyons and Wayne Palmer. 2010. Stopping the Hordes: A Critical Assessment of the Labor Government’s Regional Approach to the Management of Asylum Seekers. Local-Global: 28-35.
- Missbach, Antje and Wayne Palmer. 2018. Development Approaches to Migration and Development in Indonesia (produced for Bangkok: United Nations Development Programme).
- Palmer, Wayne. 2016. Exploitation Scheme of Trafficked Indonesian Domestic Workers (produced for – Jakarta: International Organization for Migration).
- Palmer, Wayne. 2016. Human Trafficking in the Global Fishing Industry: An Indonesian Case Study (produced for – Jakarta: International Organization for Migration).
- Palmer, Wayne. 2015. Indonesia’s Criminal Justice Response to Trafficking in Persons and Related Transnational Crime (produced for – Jakarta: International Organization for Migration).
- Palmer, W. (2015). Review of Troubled Transit: Asylum-seekers Stuck in Indonesia, by Antje Missbach, Singapore: ISEAS Yusof-Isak Institute 2015. Pp. 289. Asia Pacific Migration Journal.
- Palmer, W. (2014). Review of The Price of Rights: Regulating International Labour Migration, by Martin Ruhs, Princeton: Princeton University Press 2013. Pp. 254. Asia Pacific Migration Journal 23 (1): 127-128.
- Missbach, Antje and Wayne Palmer. 2018. When human rights don’t cross borders: Protecting migrant workers in Indonesia. Asia and the Pacific Policy Society Policy Forum, 15 November. Available at https://www.policyforum.net/when-human-rights-dont-cross-borders/.
- Missbach, Antje and Wayne Palmer. 2018. Pemberian kompensasi bagi anak Indonesia yang ditahan di penjara orang dewasa Australia. The Conversation 18 October. Available at https://theconversation.com/pemberian-kompensasi-bagi-anak-indonesia-yang-ditahan-di-penjara-orang-dewasa-australia-104952.
- Missbach, Antje and Wayne Palmer. 2018. Compensating underage people smugglers from Indonesia for their unlawful treatment in Australia. The Conversation 18 October. Available at https://theconversation.com/compensating-underage-people-smugglers-from-indonesia-for-their-unlawful-treatment-in-australia-104059.
- Ford, Michele and Wayne Palmer. 2010. Leaving Indonesia. Inside Indonesia No. 100. Available at http://www.insideindonesia.org/feature-editions/leaving-indonesia.
- Palmer, Wayne. 2010. Costly Inducements. Inside Indonesia No. 100. Available at http://www.insideindonesia.org/feature-editions/costly-inducements.
- Palmer, W. (2017). Migrant Workers. Talking Indonesia No. 57. Available at https://soundcloud.com/talking-indonesia/dr-wayne-palmer-indonesias-policy-on-migrant-workers.
Magazines and Newspapers
- Missbach, Antje and Wayne Palmer. 2018. No Justice at Home or Abroad. Inside Indonesia No. 134. Available at https://www.insideindonesia.org/no-justice-at-home-or-abroad.