Tangguh Chairil is an observer of issues on international security, defence economics, and military affairs. Currently he is a subject content supervisor for foreign policy courses at Binus University. He received his bachelor’s degree from the Department of International Relations, Universitas Indonesia, in 2011 and his master’s degree from the Defence Economics Studies Program, Indonesia Defense University, in 2013. He is also pursuing a master’s degree from the Intelligence Strategic Studies, Universitas Indonesia.
Prior to joining Binus, Tangguh had been actively writing about issues on international security. His 2011 writing about freeing the MV Sinar Kudus was published as an op-ed in a national newspaper. He also co-authored a 2013 academic article about the relationship between military expenditure and economic growth in Indonesia published in the Journal of ASEAN Studies. At Binus, he taught Introduction to International Relations, Security Studies, and Foreign Policy of Developed Countries.
- International Relations Studies
- Defence Economics
- Military Affairs
- Karim, Moch Faisal & Chairil, Tangguh (2016), “Waiting for Hard Balancing: Explaining Southeast Asia Balancing Behavior toward China”, European Journal of East Asian Studies, 15(1), 34–61.
- Chairil, Tangguh (2016), “Skenario Industri Pertahanan Indonesia 2029: Tantangan Menuju Kemandirian”, a master’s degree thesis, Universitas Indonesia.
- Chairil, Tangguh (2016), “Military in counterterrorism: Restraining collateral damage“, op-ed, The Jakarta Post, 10 August 2016.
- Chairil, Tangguh (2015), “Intelijen dan Diplomasi Internasional“, Global: Jurnal Politik Internasional, 17(1), 18–33.
- Chairil, Tangguh (2015), “Securitizing the state: The dangers beyond“, op-ed, The Jakarta Post, 11 June 2015.
- Chairil, Tangguh; Sinaga, Dedy S.; and Febrianti, Annisa I. (2013), “Relationship between Military Expenditure and Economic Growth in ASEAN: Evidence from Indonesia”, Journal of ASEAN Studies, 1(2), 106–121.
- Chairil, Tangguh (2013), “Faktor-Faktor Determinan Proporsi Pengeluaran Militer dalam Produk Domestik Bruto Negara (Analisis Statistik Lintas Negara)”, a master’s degree thesis, Indonesia Defense University.
- Chairil, Tangguh (2011), “Freeing ship a mission possible“, op-ed, The Jakarta Post, 16 April 2011.
- Tangguh (2011), “Inovasi Teknologi Militer Rusia Pasca-Perang Dingin Sebagai Reaksi Terhadap Inovasi Sistem Persenjataan Amerika Serikat”, a bachelor’s degree thesis, Universitas Indonesia.
- Master’s programme at Intelligence Strategic Studies, Universitas Indonesia, under Ministry of Finance of Indonesia LPDP Scholarships 2014.