JSMC PhD Fellowships for German and International Researchers in Germany, 2014
The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites applications for doctoral research fellowships available for 9 JSMC research projects. Fellowship will be awarded for a period of three years. Applicants must have a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences (molecular ecology, microbiology, evolutionary biology, or entomology). Both German as well as international students are welcome to apply. However, candidates should demonstrate adequate competence in the English language as English is the language of instruction at JSMC. Application deadline is March 31st, 2014.
Study Subject (s): Fellowship will be awarded for a total of 9 JSMC research projects:
– Extraction of unstructured information related to gene regulatory interactions in human pathogenic fungi from biological research papers
– Epigenetic control of secondary metabolism in filamentous fungi (Bioinformatic analysis and modeling)
– Characterization of pathogen-leukocyte interaction by means of Raman spectroscopys
– Control of microbial adhesion through physically and chemically nanostructured materials surfaces for the reduction of materials-associated infections
– Basidiomycete polyketides as potential mediators in organismal interactions
– Analysis of the molecular interaction of the human pathogenic fungus Candida albicans with human immune effector cells
– Exploring the chemical potential and mechanisms of marine microbe-invertebrate interactions
– Discovery of Small Molecule Inhibitors of Multicellular Development
– Symbiosis-specific exudate components from the beneficial root-colonizing fungus Piriformospora indica and Arabidopsis thaliana
Course Level: Fellowship is available for pursuing PhD research programme at JSMC Friedrich Schiller University Jena in Germany.
Scholarship Provider: JSMC Friedrich Schiller University Jena
Scholarship can be taken at: Germany
– a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences (molecular ecology, microbiology, evolutionary biology, or entomology). Candidates about to earn their degree are welcome to apply.
– Desirable methodological skills: design of bioassays, molecular techniques (e.g. PCR, cloning/sequencing, FISH), bioinformatics experience (not required), statistical analysis
– high motivation and interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of JSMC
– creativity and interest to shape your own thesis project
– an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the lively JSMC Community
-very good communication skills in English (instruction language at JSMC)
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: International and German applicants are eligible for these JSMC PhD Fellowships.
Scholarship Description: Selection of applicants for the JSMC PhD Fellowships (= funding for a 3-year doctoral research project including employment and research budget) is organized in JSMC Recruitments. Once or twice per year JSMC Recruitment Calls are launched with up to 20 research projects being offered per call. Applications for the JSMC Fellowships are invited from young researchers from all over the world.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): A doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) funded for three years based on the regulations of the German Research Foundation as well as generous research funding.
What does it cover?
-a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities
-a doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) funded for three years based on the regulations of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as well as generous research funding
-a comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisers
-a top-level PhD training program with courses in state-of-the-art research technologies and soft skills
-Jena – the German City of Science 2008: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University.
Selection Criteria: Not Known
Notification: Selected applicants will be invited to the JSMC Recruitment Meeting in Jena, Germany, on June 16-18, 2014. Awarding decisions will be made shortly thereafter, allowing the projects to start immediately.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is March 31st, 2014.
Read more: International JSMC PhD Fellowships in Germany, 2014 : Scholarship Positions 2014 2015