Moch Faisal Karim, Ph.D.
I am currently an Assistant Professor in International Relations, Department of International Relations, Bina Nusantara University. I am currently a research coordinator as well as Foreign Policy and International Politics subject content coordinator. I am also managing editor for Journal of ASEAN Studies. I was a coordinator board for Indonesia-UK Scholars’ Network (IUKSN). Prior to BINUS, I was an advisory staff for Chairman of Foreign Affairs and Defence Committee, House of Representatives, Republic of Indonesia. I am a recipient of Chevening Scholarship from the UK government and LPDP scholarship from the Indonesian government. In 2016,
I was awarded an Open Society Foundation (OSF) research grant, a USINDO Sumitro fellowship, and a global challenges junior fellow in the School of Public Policy (SPP) Central European Union (CEU) and Global Public Policy Institute (GPPi) in Berlin.
University of Warwick, Department of Politics and International Studies (PaIS), PhD in Politics and International Studies
University of Nottingham, School of Politics and International Relations, M.A., International Security
University of Indonesia, Department of International Relations, B.A., International Relations
Areas of Expertise
- International Politics
- South East Asia
- Non-traditional Security
- Comparative Politics
- Political Economy of state transformation
- foreign policy analysis
- Awarded the Best Essay in Asia Pacific studies by Institute for Asia Pacific Studies, University of Nottingham, May 2011.
- Awarded the Open Society Institute (OSI)/Chevening Scholarship Award 2010-2011.
- Marked as Distinction in Open Society Institute (OSI) Summer School held in Istanbul August 2010.
- Awarded the Third Winner of the Most Outstanding Student of University of Indonesia 2009.
- Awarded the First Winner of the Most Outstanding Student of Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, University of Indonesia 2009.
- Awarded the First Winner of The Most Outstanding Student in Student Academic Activity Category, Department of International Relations, University of Indonesia 2008 (Department Level).
- Awarded The Second Winner of Japan Foundation Essay Competition held by Japan Foundation 2007.
My primary research interest lies in the intersection of political economy and International Relations (IR). My current research focuses on Indonesian foreign policy, digital economy, neoliberalism in Indonesia, and the role of emerging power in global governance with a special focus on human rights, trade, and climate change governance as well as International Relations in the Asia Pacific
The goal of my research is to incorporate the growing literature on political economy into the theorisation of IR particularly in regard to how domestic political processes, ranging from inter-agential conflict to contestation over ideas and norms within the state, affect the way in which states behave at the regional and global governance. This research agenda is important, particularly in relation to understanding the IR phenomenon of non-western powers, in which the Weberian assumption of the state cannot be sustained and therefore there is a need for scholars of IR to unpack the notion of the state. This is a direct answer to the increasing call for the discipline of IR to reflect the voices, experiences, knowledge claims, and contributions of the vast majority of the societies and states of the world.
- Dayu Nirma Amurwanti, Moch Faisal Karim, Nova Joanita, “Settling outside the WTO: the case of the Indonesia-US kretek cigarette trade dispute, 2010–2014”, 2021, South East Asia Research, https://doi.org/10.1080/0967828X.2020.1857657. Indexed in Web of Science Database
- Karim, Moch Faisal, “When Foreign and Trade Policy Collide: Indonesia in Doha Development Round”, 2020, the Pacific Review, https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2020.1724189. Indexed in Web of Science Database.
- Karim, Moch Faisal, “the Limits of Global Human Rights Governance: Indonesia’s ambivalent roles in the UN Human Rights Council”, 2020, Contemporary Politics, https://doi.org/10.1080/13569775.2020.1720065. Indexed in Web of Science Database.
- Karim, Moch Faisal “State transformation and cross-border regionalism in Indonesia’s periphery: contesting the centre”, the Third World Quarterly, Vol. 40, No. 8, 2019, p. 1554-1570. https://doi.org/10.1080/01436597.2019.1620598. Indexed in Web of Science database, 2018 IF:156.
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “Middle power, status-seeking, and role conceptions: the cases of Indonesia and South Korea”, Australian Journal of International Affairs, OnlineFirst. https://doi.org/10.1080/10357718.2018.1443428. Indexed in Web of Science database, 2017 IF:954; 50/86 in International Relations.
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “Role conflict and the limits of state identity: the case of Indonesia in Democracy Promotion”, the Pacific Review, Vol. 30, No. 3, 2017, p. 385-404. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2016.1249908. Indexed in Web of Science database, 2017 IF: 1.809; 11/69 in Area Studies.
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “Institutional dynamics of regulatory actors in the recruitment of migrant workers: the case of Indonesia”, Asian Journal of Social Science, Vol. 45, No. 4-5, 2017, p. 440-464. https://doi.org/10.1163/15685314-04504004. Indexed in Web of Science database, IF: 0.291; 54/69 in Area Studies.
- Karim, Moch Faisal, “Integrating European Muslims through discourse? Understanding the development and limitations of Euro-Islam in Europe”, Journal of International Migration and Integration, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12134-017-0514-4. Indexed in Web of Science database, SJR: 0.566; 26/86 in Demography.
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “Liberal world order in the age of disruptive politics: a Southeast Asian perspective”, Journal of ASEAN Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.21512/jas.v5i1.2129.
- Karim, Moch Faisal and Chairil, Tangguh. “Waiting for hard balancing? Explaining Southeast Asia balancing behaviour toward China”, European Journal of East Asian Studies Vol. 15, No. 1, 2016, p. 34-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/15700615-01501002. Indexed in SCOPUS database, SJR: 0.138.
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “How ethnic civil war transforms into religious civil war: Evidence from Chechnya”, CEU Political Science Journal, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2013, p. 55-79. (Indexed in SCOPUS database, SJR: 0.135).
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “Local-central dynamics and limitations of micro-regionalism: Understanding West Kalimantan and Sarawak cross-border cooperation.” In Balanced Growth for an Inclusive and Equitable ASEAN Community, edited by Mely Caballero-Anthony and Richard Barichello. Singapore: Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, 2015.
- Karim, Moch Faisal. “Four roles of Parliament in fostering ASEAN Community 2015.” in AIPA and Realization of ASEAN Community 2015, edited by Endah T.D. Retnoastuti, Poltak Partogi Nainggolan, Heriyono Adi Anggoro, Annisa Mariana. Jakarta: AIPA Secretariat, 24-42, 2013.
Short Articles and Commentaries in international outlets
- 50 years of ASEAN dealing with major powers: Indonesia’s perspective, IAPS Magazine, August 24th, 2017, with Wendy A. Prajuli.
- South-East Asia takes stock after a year of alarming democratic decline, the Conversation, December 15th, 2016, with Scott Edwards.
- Reinventing East Asia Regional Architecture: a Southeast Asian Perspective, Thinking ASEAN, Issue 17, November 2016.
- Indonesia should promote democracy globally, starting with Egypt, East Asia Forum, August 22nd, 2013.
- Local Politics and the Limits of Micro-Regionalism in Border Areas, the RSIS Centre for Non Traditional Security (NTS) Studies’ Blog, June 14th, 2013.
- ASEAN responsibility to protect, the Jakarta Post, August 3rd, 2012.
Academic Book (in Bahasa)
- Mahir Menulis Akademik. Jakarta: Linea Pusaka, 2016. (with Tirta Nugraha Mursitama), [Translation: Proficient in Academic Writings in International Relations], http://www.gramedia.com/mahir-menulis-akademik.html
- Memahami Pendekatan Kritis dalam Hubungan Internasional: Sebuah Pengantar. Depok: Penerbit Kepik, 2019.
- Pengantar sejarah hubungan internasional. Depok: Penerbit Kepik, 2020.
- Memahami ASEAN: Sebuah Pengantar. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu, 2020.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Memahami Pendekatan Kritis Dalam Hubungan Internasional: Sebuah Pengantar (2020), ID : C0020200290
- Digital Dashboard E-UMKM (2019), ID : C00201976300
- Mahir Menulis Akademik (2017), ID: C00201704306